Civil Celebrations Network Inc
PO Box 3113, Robertson NSW 2577
Convener: Rona Goold BSc (GenSc) DipEd. CMC
Phone: 02 4885 2393
15th February 2010
Health Reform Taskforce
MDP 155 GPO Box 9848
WODEN ACT 2601
Dear Taskforce Members
Please find attached a Summary of our Submission which aims to ‘embed prevention’ .. ‘into every aspect of’ .. our lives’.
Our proposition is that the 18th Birthday is the new Coming of Age - Citizenship Ceremony - rite of passage that
- needs strengthening as a family and friendship based event as young Australians entering adulthood take on the full range of rights and responsibilities of citizenship, not just the right to drink and drive,
- can increase awareness of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship of the peer group and family support system of the young adult,
- can provide parents and others with a much clearer boundary between adolescence and adulthood, to reduce early use of alcohol by teenagers.
We consider the appointment of Citizenship Celebrants would be a relatively economical and effective health prevention strategy for the Government to implement as it would utilize existing resources and be partly self-funded.
In 2009, the Coalition of Celebrant Associations, a national peak body of 14 celebrant associations set up as a consultative body at the request of the Attorney General, supported these two motions:
· Exploring strategies for broadening the role of civil marriage celebrants to meet related objectives under the Federal Attorney-General's sphere of responsibility.
· The development of community based "adult Australian Citizenship" ceremonies for all young people turning 18 years of age.
Please contact us for more information, as above.
Convener CCN Inc