Civil Celebrations Network (CCN) Inc.
Admin: PO Box 3113 Robertson NSW 2577
The Hon Nicola Roxon
Canberra ACT 2600
Monday 10th December 2012
We are writing to say how encouraged our Civil Celebrations Network (CCN) Inc. National Committee is to hear from our Delegate Rona Goold that you are seriously considering the recommendations of our peak body the Coalition of Celebrant Associations aimed at:
- improving the professionalism of Commonwealth marriage celebrants;
- restoring parity with State registered marriage celebrants; and
- examining ways in which the Department can implement Cost Recovery on a fair and equitable basis, and in an effective and efficient manner.
Our Association wants to ensure that you, as Attorney-General, know that our association supports our peak body the Coalition of Celebrant Associations (CoCA) Incorporated’s recent recommendations for the Marriage Act to be changed now to:
- cap the number of new appointees such that celebrants have sufficient work to maintain and improve their knowledge and skills as outlined in CoCA's Recommendations to the Department in February 2012; strengthen Conflict of Interest provisions; and
- ensure a “professional” model of celebrancy applies to both Commonwealth and State registered celebrants so that there is parity between civil and religious marriage celebrants.
- a Senate Inquiry into Australia’s marriage law and marriage celebrant services, including the impact on different categories of marriage celebrants and setting a equitable fee for marriage registration by all marrying couples; and
- improving methods and content of Ongoing Professional Development by phasing in a new Approval and Monitoring System as soon as possible
- ensure that civil celebrants are treated as professionals and are treated with the same respect as that granted to religious celebrants and BDM staff, and
- bring some parity between Commonwealth and State marriage celebrants in their appointed, regulation processes and the conditions under which they operate in delivering the same service to the public as required by Commonwealth law.
The CCN Inc National Committee and our association membership look forward to a positive response on these matters from yourself and the Government.
CCN Inc National Secretary
Civil Celebrations Network (CCN) Inc
ABN: 31 202 566 788
CCN Inc Officer Bearers
Barry Blundell CCN Inc Chairperson
Robbie Fincham CCN Inc Vice Chair and CoCA Alternate Delegate
Patricia Bowles CCN Inc Secretary
Deborah Chaplin CCN Inc Treasurer