Download a pdf of Your Final Checklist here
- Have you written a will? Is it up to date?
- Have you nominated your power of attorney?
- Where are your important documents?
Who has access to them?
Have you recorded your passwords for all your online accounts and social media profiles?
- Who will be your enduring guardian?
This is the person who can speak up for you about medical interventions if you can’t.
- If you have children who will be their legal guardian?
- Have you told your loved ones what medical interventions you want and do not want and under what circumstances?
- Have you written your advance care directive?
- Have you written an Emotional Will?
Your Loved Ones
- Have you discussed your end of life plans with family and friends?
- Would you prefer to die at home?
- Is there something comforting that you might want in the room with you as you are dying?
- What would you like to be said to you in your final days/moments? (Many people want to be told that their affairs are in order and their dependants will be taken care of)
- What do you hope for the people who are around you while you’re dying?
- Who will receive special family items such as photos and treasured heirlooms?
- Who will take pets and animals under your care?
- What type of funeral do you want?
- Do you want to be buried, cremated or something else entirely?
- Where do you want to be buried or have your ashes scattered or your tree planted?
- What do you want written on your headstone/plaque memorial?
- Who do you want to perform the eulogy?
- Do you want to write your own obituary?
- Do you want to donate to a charity in lieu of flowers or in lieu of anything else? Or do you want to do both?
- Have you looked into “Do It Yourself” funerals?
Everything Else ...
Let’s change the conversation on Dying to Know Day, August 8th.
Host an event, have a conversation with your family, community or workplace.
Go to www.dyingtoknowday.org for more information.
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. You must acknowledge The GroundSwell Project if you partially or fully reproduce.